5 Ways to Keep the Ocean Clean
There's a big problem with ocean plastic, and it seems that it's only going to get worse unless we take action. In fact, a new study last week from the International Energy Agency is warning that the amount of plastic in our oceans may double by 2030.
WHY IT MATTERS
Our addiction to plastic is having severe impacts on our oceans. There is the equivalent of five trash bags full of plastic for every single foot of coastline in the world. There will be more plastic than fish in the ocean by 2050, which can prove fatal for marine animals that mistake plastic for food or get caught in debris floating in the water. Each year, one million seabirds and 100,000 marine animals are killed by plastic.
But, we have the power to change this.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
If we act now to not only rid the ocean of our plastic, but to curtail our reliance on it, we can save countless marine animals and preserve the ocean for generations to come.
- Avoid single-use plastics. If we don't cut our reliance on plastic, we'll never keep it out of the oceans. Say no to unnecessary plastic, like straws, plastic bags, and packaging. If you do use a single-use plastic, make sure to recycle it properly.
- Choose reusable. It's hard to completely ditch single-use plastics, but we can protect the planet by switching to eco-friendly and reusable alternatives. This easy change will reduce the amount of new plastic we need to make and keeps the ocean clean. Keep extra cups, straws, and bags where you need them most - in your home, car, office, and bag.
- Never litter. Don't forget to bring a bag with you every time you head to the beach to collect your trash.
- Clean up the beach. Lead or participate in a local beach cleanup to prevent. This is especially important after large storms, when marine debris winds up on shore.
- Give your support. Supporting nonprofits organizations like The Plastic Bank or Plastic Oceans International can help rid our oceans of plastic.
Help take plastic out of the ocean with our Make Waves Tee. Each tee is made with six recycled bottles and a portion of proceeds will be donated to a plastic offset program, effectively removing 100 water bottles from the ocean. Each purchase of our recycled plastic bracelets also help you do your part.